Forum Observations

Got an idea to help make this a better place?
kathlynn
Pronouns: any female or generic pronoun

Forum Observations

Post by kathlynn »

So, this is thought post was derived from me feeling unsure where to put more detailed/in-depth discussions of languages (word usage). Which really was a small thing. But it caused me to realize that the forum "Learning experience" doesn't completely fit it's description, and might need tweaked.

To expand, Learning Experience seems to be the equivalent (but not identical) to other site's "Serious Discussion", but it still has left over traces of it's former title "resources". And the topics that fit "resources" don't really fit there anymore, and we have "Current events, links and articles" which seems a better spot for most of them. And the ones that don't fit, like the sticky"Hotlines" could/should be located in multiple spots (like 'Current events, Help, and the Welcome forums).

I'm also frequently stuck on where to place topics/thoughts I would generally lump together as "introspection" or self-perception topics. Like discussing how your own experiences, or asking for information about others. Essentially a 5th "Sandwiches of Love" sub-forum might be a good idea. A "Common experiences and Personal Journeys" This would be a place to put the "ballads" (when they aren't purely for help or hugs), and seek discussion of things that could fit into a support groups, but feel more like a learning experience topic. (Like, I want to make a topic about how I've began to figure out the actual terms for my emotions (ex/ using frustrated rather then upset). But it seems to personal/emotional for LE, but doesn't feel like a support group topic to me). Another option would be to change the support group title to "common experiences and support groups", if it's a more accurate description of the subforum's purpose.

I'm not sure how clear the difference is shown above. but maybe this will help. Examples are potential (or existing) topic titles or summaries
-Isms, This word is problematic. Why is this an -ism/privilege
Learning experience, Issues around the word forgiveness. or New or obscure terms you wish people would use (actual discussion/debate of why). more factual or culture based observations, when not directly -ism related (like rape culture fits better there then -ism)
Help- Someone keeps using this harmful word. What should I do
Support Group- Anxiety support. Specific Mood/issue support.
New forum: Identifying emotions are tricky, discuss and share experiences. Discussions about therapy or medication, and how people experience them differently, when doing so would derail a support group, or don't fit into one category easily. Basically draws on aspects from the other Sandwiches of Love sub-forums, with an LE bent. More supportive and understanding based though. Less discussion/argument based. (I am willing find specific topics/post to indicate what I mean, but I don't want to link them in topic, since they aren't mine)
I fuss over details, loath absolute/blanket statements, and probably over think everything I do.

M.J.
Pronouns: He/Him

Re: Forum Observations

Post by M.J. »

Hi Kathlynn. Thank you for your input and ideas, we'll be taking them into consideration for the future. Generally speaking there's never going to be a situation where all possible topics have a forum that fits them perfectly, and too many sub-forums carries its own problems. Generally we advise to post where the fit seems best (or least bad) and if the situation calls for it, topics can easily be moved.
Hi!

I tumblr at myfairytalelogic