Superbetter refugees

Got an idea to help make this a better place?
Lilb

Superbetter refugees

Post by Lilb »

Hi folks! I am an awkward acolyte, I have never visited the forums before but I have an odd request for you all. Here's the deal. I use this super cheesy self-help app called SuperBetter (you can google to learn more, there is a TED talk). One of the better capabilities of the app is the ability to interact with online "allies", but unfortunately the ownership of the company that makes the app is in flux, and there is limited functionality for the ally feature and no user support whatsoever. In particular, our forums (forums.superbetter.com) are borderline useless. Most people's accounts are frozen. There are a lot of ghosts lurking in the forum with no posting privileges, and we're all dying to connect. Someone suggested finding an alternative forum, and I thought these might be a good fit. Would you all consider allowing a section for us?

Elodieunderglass
Pronouns: she/her

Re: Superbetter refugees

Post by Elodieunderglass »

Hi Lilb, thanks for your query. We're really pleased to hear that our board culture makes you feel safe and comfortable - we couldn't ask for a better compliment.

We aren't going to turn away new members - as long as you read the rules, abide by them and respect our board culture, your members are welcome here. As long as new posts are within the rules, you could still post the things you used to talk about in General Chat, etc. The Friends of Captain Awkward share all kinds of interests, like knitting, academia, video games and NaNoWriMo - there's probably a lot of overlap, and you're all welcome to enjoy that.

However, the mod team of FoCA signed up to work as the mod team of FoCA, and the essential center of this community is (and will always be) the Captain Awkward blog. You're asking us to do work that none of us signed up for, to serve a community that we simply don't know. And our board culture takes some getting used to - expecting an already-formed community to adjust to it en masse might lead to some upset.

Working for a forum is a lot of work - but it's worth it in the end! If you want to recreate your community and give them a new home, we think the best solution is to start your own forum. We use phpBB forum software, which is free and relatively easy to set up. Anyone can do it - and we're sure your community would enjoy that very much.

Best,
The FoCA team
I live on a boat in the wilderness, so everything I write here is typed on a phone. Make of any grammar/spelling mistakes what you will; I've noticed them too and forgiven them

Lilb

Re: Superbetter refugees

Post by Lilb »

Thanks so much for the reply! I appreciate the fact that new members means more moderation. I will read the rules, make a post in general chat explaining my goals, and generally do my best to respect your forum. And hopefully someone who works for superbetter will tell us whats going on over there... Some day...