Improving the helplines and hotlines post

Got an idea to help make this a better place?
Lirael
Pronouns: They or She

Improving the helplines and hotlines post

Post by Lirael »

I was looking at the helplines-and-hotlines post in the Learning Experiences section. Some of the material in that post is very good, but some of it is problematic, and there's also a lot of potentially useful helplines and hotlines that are not there.

The problematic thing that jumped out at me was the "AAA Crisis Pregnancy Center" listing in the Pregnancy section of the post. People who aren't part of the pregnancy/abortion world, and especially people who aren't USian, might not be familiar with what a crisis pregnancy center actually is. CPCs are anti-abortion/anti-choice organizations, mostly run by Christian groups, that provide a few resources like bags of diapers for pregnant people, but also lie to them and intimidate them to try to dissuade them from getting abortions. For instance, (tw: coercive and deceptive anti-abortion tactics) lying to a person about how far along they are to make them think they can no longer legally get an abortion in their state, or chopping up a doll in front of a teenager and telling them that that's what an abortion would be doing to the "baby." I don't think we ought to have any "resource" of that type in our resources list. I haven't even checked the other pregnancy resources listed in that post to see if they're also crisis pregnancy centers, but I know of a couple of very good pregnancy resources that aren't on there.

I volunteer with several different hotlines and helplines, and of course have referred people to many others, and I know a lot of US hotlines and helplines, and even a few outside the US that aren't in the current post. I'd be happy to work on an improved version of the post and submit it to someone relevant for approval, if the mods consent.

M.J.
Pronouns: He/Him

Re: Improving the helplines and hotlines post

Post by M.J. »

Hi Lirael!

That is very kind of you to offer. If you have a list of resources you'd think be appropriate you can post them here and we'll have a look at it, does that sound good?
Hi!

I tumblr at myfairytalelogic

Kellis Amberlee
Pronouns: she/her

Post by Kellis Amberlee »

Seconding Quisty, that is so lovely and thoughtful of you!
The difference between the truth and a lie is that both of them can hurt, but only one will take the time to heal you afterward.

Lirael

Post by Lirael »

Here we go! I apologize for the USA-heavy nature of the list, the original one is better at international resources. If a resource is labeled as, for instance, "USA", or "Canada", that means you have to live there to use it. If it's "USA-focused" or "Canada-focused", that means that you can use it for, for instance, emotional support, even if you live elsewhere, but the resources and information will be geared toward people in that country/those countries.

Some of the resources fall into more than one category, and I've listed them multiple times so that people can find them whatever category they're looking in.

Regarding the existing list: I looked up some of the other pregnancy resources and think that we really should scrap the entire pregnancy section of the existing list - all of the ones that I was able to track down with quick googling were fronts for anti-abortion organizations! I can guarantee that the pregnancy resources in my list are not that!

With very few exceptions, these are hotlines/helplines/directories of hotlines and helplines that I'm familiar with through my own work on hotlines and helplines - we tend to refer a lot to each other and have resource binders full of each other's info.

I'm a little concerned that there are too many resources and people won't be able to find the one they're looking for. If anyone has better ideas on how to format this, I'd welcome it.

List to follow in the next post.

Lirael

Post by Lirael »

I had to erase a bunch of URLs for the chat portions of hotlines because there's a max number of URLs per post.

Depression, Suicide, and Self-Harm

Befrienders Worldwide: befrienders dot org (international directory of suicide hotlines)
Boystown (USA): 800-448-3000 (despite the name, works with people of all genders, special focus on teens, parents, and self-harm)
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline (USA): 800-273-8255
Samaritans (UK & Ireland): 08457 90 90 90 * (UK), 116 123 (Ireland)
Samaritans (USA): See listing of local hotline numbers at http://www.samaritansusa.org/contact.php
Trans Lifeline (USA & Canada): 877-565-8860 (USA), 877-330-6366 (Canada) (For trans* folks, all hotline staff are themselves trans*)
Trevor Project: 866-488-7386 (for LGBTQ youth ages 13-24)

Domestic Violence/Partner Abuse

Americans Overseas Domestic Violence Crisis Center: 866-USWOMEN (for abused Americans in military and civilian populations overseas)
Anti-Violence Project (USA-focused): 212-714-1141 (for LGBTQ and HIV+ people who have experienced sexual, domestic, hate, pick-up, or police violence)
GLBTQ DVP Domestic Violence Hotline (USA-focused): 800-832-1901 (for LGBTQ people experiencing domestic violence)
Hot Peach Pages: http://www.hotpeachpages.net/ (international directory of domestic and sexual violence services, focused on women)
National Domestic Violence Hotline (USA): 800−799−SAFE (7233) or TTY 800−787−3224
National Teen Dating Violence Hotline (USA-focused): 866-331-9474
NCAVP Member and Affiliate Contacts (USA & Canada-focused): http://www.avp.org/storage/documents/nc ... ne2014.pdf (directory of violence response & recovery programs/hotlines for LGBTQ+ and HIV-affected people)
The Network/La Red (USA-focused): 617-742-4911 or TTY 617-227-4911 (for LGBQ, trans/gender nonconforming, polyamorous, and/or kinky people experiencing partner abuse, strong anti-oppression focus)
The Northwest Network (USA-focused): 206-568-7777 (for LGBTQ people experiencing partner abuse and their families and friends)

Immigration, Refugees, and Asylum

Hotline for Refugees and Migrants (for those immigrating to Israel): 03-560-2530 (crisis support, legal help, and political advocacy for refugees and migrants in Israel)
Immigration Equality Hotline (for those immigrating to the USA): 212-714-2904 (legal hotline for LGBTQ people wanting to immigrate to the US, including asylum seekers and those in detention)

Kink/BDSM and Poly

The Network/La Red (USA-focused): 617-742-4911 or TTY 617-227-4911 (for LGBQ, trans/gender nonconforming, polyamorous, and/or kinky people experiencing partner abuse, strong anti-oppression focus)
NCSF Incident Reporting and Response (USA): https://ncsfreedom.org/key-programs/inc ... ?view=form (legal help for people in kink, swing, or poly who have been victimized by actions of local authorities because of kink/swing/poly activities)
NCSF List of Kink-Knowledgeable/Friendly Sexual Assault and Domestic Violnce Hotlines (USA-focused): https://ncsfreedom.org/images/stories/p ... rvices.pdf

LGBTQ and HIV-Affected

Anti-Violence Project (USA-focused): 212-714-1141 (for LGBTQ and HIV+ people who have experienced sexual, domestic, hate, pick-up, or police violence)
Fenway LGBT Listening Line (USA-focused): 617-267-9001 (for LGBTQ people age 25+)
Fenway LGBT Peer Listening Line (USA-focused): 617-267-9001 (for LGBTQ people 25 and under)
GLAD Answers Legal Helpline (USA): 800-455-GLAD (legal helpline for LGBTQ and HIV+ people, with a New England focus)
GLBT National Hotline (USA-focused): 888-843-4564 (LGBTQ peer counseling hotline)
GLBT National Youth Talkline (USA-focused): 800-246-7743 (LGBTQ peer counseling hotline for youth up to age 25)
GLBTQ DVP Domestic Violence Hotline (USA-focused): 800-832-1901 (for LGBTQ people experiencing domestic violence)
GLBTQ DVP Sexual Assault Helpline (USA-focused): 617-779-2127 (case management for LGBTQ people who have experienced sexual violence)
Immigration Equality Hotline (for those immigrating to the USA): 212-714-2904 (legal hotline for LGBTQ people wanting to immigrate to the US, including asylum seekers and those in detention)
Lambda Legal Help Desk (USA): lambdalegal dot org help to find the number for your state (legal helpline for LGBTQ and HIV+ people)
NCAVP Member and Affiliate Contacts (USA & Canada-focused): see above (directory of violence response & recovery programs/hotlines for LGBTQ+ and HIV-affected people)
The Northwest Network (USA-focused): 206-568-7777 (for LGBTQ people experiencing partner abuse and their families and friends)
Trans Lifeline (USA & Canada): 877-565-8860 (USA), 877-330-6366 (Canada) (For trans* folks, all hotline staff are themselves trans*)

Hate Violence and Police/Corrections Misconduct

Communities United Against Police Brutality Hotline (USA): 612-874-STOP (for police brutality victims/survivors and witnesses, mostly focused on Minnesota)
Just Detention International (international but special focus on South Africa & USA): http://www.justdetention.org/ (mailing address and other crisis support for incarcerated people who experience sexual violence)
NCAVP Member and Affiliate Contacts (USA & Canada-focused): see above (directory of violence response & recovery programs/hotlines for LGBTQ+ and HIV-affected people)

Other Mental Health

National Alliance on Mental Illness Helpline (USA-focused): 800-950-NAMI (answers questions about mental illness and treatment options)
National Eating Disorders Association Helpline (USA): 800-931-2237 (information and referrals about eating disorders)
Sidran Institute Help Desk (USA-focused): 410-825-8888 (phone), help@sidran.org (email) (non-time-sensitive information and referrals about trauma, PTSD, and dissociation)

Pregnancy, Parenting, Adoption, Abortion, and Miscarriage

Backline (USA & Canada): 888-493-0092 (feminist, non-judgmental, all-options, pregnancy/parenting/abortion/adoption/miscarriage hotline)
Faith Aloud: 888-717-5010 (helpline for spiritual or emotional concerns about pregnancy and/or abortion, before and after, counselors are clergy of Roman Catholic, Jewish, Unitarian-Universalist, Protestant Christian, and Buddhist faiths, with special training in pregnancy options and abortion counseling, you do not need to be religious to use their services)
National Abortion Federation Hotline (USA): 800-772-9100 (unbiased information about abortion and about other resources, including financial assistance)
National Network of Abortion Funds (USA, Canada, Mexico, Northern and Republic of Ireland, countries where abortion is illegal): http://www.fundabortionnow.org/get-help (financial assistance in getting abortions or paying abortion-related expenses such as travel and lodging)
National Parent Helpline (USA-focused): 855-427-2736 (offers emotional support to parents and caregivers of children and youth of all ages)
PushBack Benefits Access Project (Massachusetts, USA): 800-645-3750 x115 (rights, resources, and public benefits access assistance for teenage parents)

Sex Workers

HIPS Hotline (USA): 800-676-HIPS (harm reduction, crisis counseling, and advocacy for sex workers, some staff and volunteers are or have been sex workers)
SWOP Community Support Warmline (USA): 877-776-2004 x 1 (support, advice, crisis counseling, referrals, know-your-rights info for sex workers, staffed by sex workers and allies)

Sexual Violence

Darkness to Light National Helpline (USA): 866-FOR-LIGHT (provides resources about sexual abuse with a focus on child sexual abuse)
DoD Safe Helpline (USA): 877-995-5247 (for military and civilian employees of the US Dept of Defense and their families who have experienced sexual violence)
GLBTQ DVP Sexual Assault Helpline (USA-focused): 617-779-2127 (case management for LGBTQ people who have experienced sexual violence)
Hot Peach Pages: see above (international directory of domestic and sexual violence services, focused on women)
Just Detention International (international but special focus on South Africa & USA): http://www.justdetention.org/ (mailing address and other crisis support for incarcerated people who experience sexual violence)
National Sexual Assault Hotline (USA): 800-656-HOPE (routes to local RAINN-affiliated rape crisis hotline)
RAINN-Affiliated Rape Crisis Centers (USA): centers dot rainn dot org (searchable directory of RAINN-affiliated rape crisis centers, nearly all of which have hotlines, for people of all genders and sexualities)
RAINN Online Hotline (USA-focused, but gets a lot of internationals): online dot rainn dot org (chat-based sexual violence hotline)
RAINN Listing of International Sexual Violence Hotlines: https://www.rainn.org/get-help/sexual-a ... -resources
Stop It Now Helpline: 888-PREVENT (for children and adults affected by child sexual abuse, able to provide some assistance to offenders)

Sexually Transmitted Infections

CDC National STD Hotline (USA): 800-232-4636 or TTY 888-232-6348

US Military/Veterans/Families

Americans Overseas Domestic Violence Crisis Center: 866-USWOMEN (for abused Americans in military and civilian populations overseas)
DoD Safe Helpline (USA): 877-995-5247 (for military and civilian employees of the US Dept of Defense and their families who have experienced sexual violence)
Veterans' Crisis Line: 800-273-8255 (for veterans in crisis and their loved ones)

Youth

Childhelp National Child Abuse Hotline (USA & Canada): 800-4-A-CHILD (non-mandated-reporter child abuse hotline)
Fenway LGBT Peer Listening Line (USA-focused): 617-267-9001 (for LGBTQ people 25 and under)
GLBT National Youth Talkline (USA-focused): 800-246-7743 (LGBTQ peer counseling hotline for youth up to age 25)
National Runaway Safeline (USA): 800-RUN-AWAY (assistance for runaway youth, youth considering running away, and friends)
Office for Civil Rights Education Helpline (USA): 800-421-3481 (for education-related civil rights questions)
PushBack Benefits Access Project (Massachusetts, USA): 800-645-3750 x115 (rights, resources, and public benefits access assistance for teenage parents)
Youth Labor Violation Hotline (USA): 866-4US-WAGE (the US government Wage & Hour Division's child/youth labor and youth worker mistreatment hotline)

M.J.

Post by M.J. »

Wow! I am impressed Lirael. Thank you so much!

Regarding the max. amount of URL's here's what we can do. We make each sub-heading it's own post and then we can link to that particular post from the first post. If you like the idea you can just repost each sub-heading in a separate post with the links added and then we'll copy them as new posts into the resource thread.

Also, thank you for checking the status of the current resources, I agree those does not sound like good resources at all and I'll be taking them down.
Hi!

Lirael

Post by Lirael »

Quisty: That sounds like a good idea! Should I repost each sub-heading here in this thread? Or somewhere else?

Also, there are a couple of subheadings that don't have much in them (for instance, the STIs subheading only having one hotline). Do you think I should still give those subheadings their own posts, or combine them in some way? I suppose it's not like posts are a scarce resource...

rageasaurus
Pronouns: she/her

Post by rageasaurus »

Thank you, Lirael and admins/mod team!!

M.J.

Post by M.J. »

Lirael, you can post them here :)

I think you can go ahead and make them their own post, if we get more resources for these sub-headings down the road we can easily add them in the appropriate post.
Hi!

The_Other_Alice
Pronouns: she, her

Post by The_Other_Alice »

Thank you so much, Lirael, this is wonderful! I am hugely appreciative!