Write our new anti harassment-policy!

If you have a technical problem or a question about the site, ask here. The admin team will also post announcements here - so check in occasionally!
kathlynn
Pronouns: any female or generic pronoun

Re: Write our new anti harassment-policy!

Post by kathlynn »

I think that it should be volunteers, say a team of 5, with a few people on back up. I'll have more to say later on that (I'll edit this post). Added two paragraphs down.

My question is, who are we going to go to if we have a problem with a decision made by the team? is it going to be one of the spare members? a Mod/admin? (that is, an impartial party, who can be turned to if one of the people involved in the case isn't happy with the explanations given (in one example, if someone thinks that one or more of the team-members has a conflict of interest or bias in the case.). kinda like a mediator/omnibus person.

Okay, so on another site, they have a BoD (Board of Directors), who own/control the site. This is a (slightly edited, to remove IRL names) quote from their bylaws, which I think would be good thing to base the structure on.
ARTICLE II – MEMBERSHIP

Section 1 – Membership: Membership shall consist of the board of directors and all active members of at least one of the Sheroes Inc websites, discluding banned members. Members who have been inactive on the websites for more than a year may be purged but can rejoin at any time.

ARTICLE III – BOARD OF DIRECTORS

Section 1 – Board role, size, and compensation: The board is responsible for overall policy and direction of the association, and delegates responsibility of day-to-day operations to the staff and committees. The board shall have up to 11, but not fewer than 5 unrelated members, or such minimum as future changes in NH regulations may require.

Section 2 – Terms: With the exception of the initial board members, all regular board members shall serve three-year terms, but are eligible for re-appointment for up to five consecutive terms. The initial board members shall be appointed to staggered terms, with [two people having] (3) year terms, [two people having] a two (2) year term, and [one more person having] a one (1) year term. A representative of the administrative teams may be elected to up to five consecutive one-year terms. Representatives of each active message site will serve one-year terms, eligible to be reelected twice. The representatives from the message sites each have a single vote.
I fuss over details, loath absolute/blanket statements, and probably over think everything I do.

M.J.
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by M.J. »

Hey folks,

In response to the suggestion by tbac I understand why it sounds appealing. It seems like the combination of the best of two systems, right?

Speaking as someone who would be part of implementing this system it looks a tad more complicated from the inside. First of all the technology of the forum isn't as malleable as we'd like it to be and there are still other technological requests that we have been unable to provide (such as hiding threads and getting the thank-you system to work). I'm not the foremost expert on tech on board but creating a toggle option like tbac mentioned that is useable by the admod team is going to be difficult and time-consuming, if we can figure out how to do it. If we can't that would mean that we would have to create a manual list and update it manually and that is a dauntingly large amount of work to put in relative to what you get out of it.

Given that we also don't know which demographics people on the forum represent (and I doubt we are going to try and collect this information due to privacy reasons) I'm open to suggestions on how to encourage as wide a demographic spread as possible.
Hi!

I tumblr at myfairytalelogic

teabooksandchocolate
Pronouns: She/her

Post by teabooksandchocolate »

Quisty wrote:Speaking as someone who would be part of implementing this system it looks a tad more complicated from the inside. First of all the technology of the forum isn't as malleable as we'd like it to be and there are still other technological requests that we have been unable to provide (such as hiding threads and getting the thank-you system to work). I'm not the foremost expert on tech on board but creating a toggle option like tbac mentioned that is useable by the admod team is going to be difficult and time-consuming, if we can figure out how to do it. If we can't that would mean that we would have to create a manual list and update it manually and that is a dauntingly large amount of work to put in relative to what you get out of it.

Given that we also don't know which demographics people on the forum represent (and I doubt we are going to try and collect this information due to privacy reasons) I'm open to suggestions on how to encourage as wide a demographic spread as possible.
Ooof! The last thing in the world that I would want to do is create more work for you all! You guys already do enough admod-ing the forum (which you do wonderfully). I don't know forum technology at all, so sorry for throwing out ideas that are difficult to make into reality!

M.J.
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by M.J. »

Not at all! We love to hear your thoughts and suggestions! And it's really difficult to know what is easy to make happen from a tech pov if you're not familiar with the backend of it, so don't be worried about throwing out suggestions. :)
Hi!

I tumblr at myfairytalelogic

kathlynn
Pronouns: any female or generic pronoun

Post by kathlynn »

If this site were to go the volunteer pool that tbac suggested, one idea would be to utilize the Usergroups feature, found within the User control panel. Either by applying in a thread to join (and then being invited), or by applying through the Usergroup tab. (depending on how the tech works).

If we have a main set of "policy mods" (my sudden term for anti-harassment policy moderators), then they could be picked by their experience dealing with different areas of prejudice (because having a team who is only familiar with one or two isms wouldn't be balanced.). Which is why my preference is for electing/selecting Policy Mods based on their experience, rather then having a large pool people are randomly picked from.
I fuss over details, loath absolute/blanket statements, and probably over think everything I do.

Kellis Amberlee
Pronouns: she/her

Post by Kellis Amberlee »

Hi everybody!

Thanks for the feedback and for hanging in there! We've inching closer and closer to a final product.

We've decided on a ombudsperson for anything harassment-related. If you're unhappy about a decision, take it up with The_Other_Alice.

We are calling for interested people in this thread..
The difference between the truth and a lie is that both of them can hurt, but only one will take the time to heal you afterward.