Edit etiquette

If you have a technical problem or a question about the site, ask here. The admin team will also post announcements here - so check in occasionally!
cookie
Pronouns: she/her

Edit etiquette

Post by cookie »

So, I've seen some posters here making a note at the bottom of their posts when they've edited something; I do that sometimes, too, but don't always think of it or often will go back a few times to fix a typo/add another thought (you know how people sometimes speak before they think? I do that in writing, too). Is there a fixed etiquette here about when to note that you have edited your post, is it a voluntary thing? I'm just kind of unsure about the way to go here.

CodaSammy
Administrator
Pronouns: she, her

Re: Edit etiquette

Post by CodaSammy »

Hi cookie! Yes, it's a rule that you should note why when you edit your post. It's hugely appreciated by the mods! When we see an edit, we usually check the post to see what changed, just in case it's something that could cause difficulties later. If we see a note that it's 'edited for clarity' or 'typo!' or whatever, we don't have to bother checking.

The rule is listed here.

cookie

Post by cookie »

Ahhh, I must have missed that. Sorry, and thanks for clarifying!

cookie

Post by cookie »

As an afterthought, I hadn't seen that post because while I read the forum rules after joining, it wasn't clear to me that additional rules might be posted in the administrativa forum and the time when that post went up was just during a few months when I wasn't active in the forum at all. Most of the mod posts that outline new/changed rules state that in the title - this one happened not to, but if you could consider clarifying that right in the title for all new rule posts, that'd be really cool and would certainly help me (and possibly other well meaning but scatterbrained people) from accidentally breaking the new rules and/or over-straining your modding resources. :)

I'm also having feelings (very good feelings!) about the modding here and the tone of the community in general but I think I'll take that to the Jedi Hugs forum.

CodaSammy
Administrator
Pronouns: she, her

Post by CodaSammy »

Cookie, that's an excellent point and I'll take it to the team for discussion. Thanks!