Please add instructions on how to add TW tags

Got an idea to help make this a better place?
turquoises

Please add instructions on how to add TW tags

Post by turquoises »

I haven't posted on BBCode forums in ages; I would like to request adding easy-to-find instructions about *how* to add TW tags. I see plenty of guidelines about *what* to tag, but I spent half an hour searching and could not find any instructions about the code for the tag itself-- like, literally what do you type to cover up TW text. I finally remembered spoiler tags and incorrectly assumed the functionality was the same; I just saw that a mod was kind enough to correct me, many thanks! (I was going to ask this here regardless, and I assume it would be derailing to respond about my tech confusion in that thread.)

......THIS JUST IN, I finally noticed that the buttons at the top of the text editing box include a TW tag!! Still, I would like to recommend adding a quick how-to to the Rules and the FAQ, so people know where to look if they are new or otherwise unsure. It may be "obvious" but not necessarily-- the buttons are right there but visual overload and trouble navigating are very real for many people :)

For clarity, here is where I looked for guidance:
1. The rules-- state that we should use TW tags, but make no mention of how to do so
2. The FAQs-- give more guidelines about what to tag, but no mention of how
3. The "more information in this thread" link from the FAQs-- again, discussion of what to tag but no mention of how
4. The BBCode guide (linked from the side of the text editing box)-- instructions on how to format some things, but no mention of TW tags

SorchaRei
Administrator
Pronouns: she/her

Re: Please add instructions on how to add TW tags

Post by SorchaRei »

There's a thread in Administrivia about tw tags, which is the thread referenced in the FAQ. In the most recent post in that thread, we described two different ways to apply tw tags. You can read that post here: http://friendsofcaptainawkward.com/foru ... 30#p218415
The difference between theory and practice is that in theory, there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice, there is.

turquoises

Re: Please add instructions on how to add TW tags

Post by turquoises »

I see! I would have had to scroll through all the way to the end to see that, but I was overwhelmed and out of spoons. I would still very much appreciate if a quick note about this basic information were put up front (like right in the rules and FAQ) so people who are unfamiliar with tags don't have to dig for it.